Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Betty Blogger Task #3 - Tagging

This week's Betty Blogger task was to join Diigo. Diigo is an online bookmarking service that enables users to access their tagged photos and websites from any computer in the world. The added benefit to Diigo is that it is a community in which to share and recommend favorite reads/ images.

I have a L-O-N-G list of favorite websites/blogs that I check regularly, so I was interested in checking out Diigo to see if their service was one that would make my life easier. Joining was quick and painless. The process of adding my some of my favorite sites was also super simple.

I added five of my favorite web sites. U create, DLTK-kids, Busy Bee Kid Crafts, Flickr: Shutter Sisters 365 Group, and of course Betty Blogger 2010. The first three sites were all tagged with "crafts". I added the tag "mom" to U create as it has more adult craft content, and the tag "kid" to DLTK-kids and Busy Bee Kid Crafts because the crafts found on these sites are child oriented. Flickr: Shutter Sisters 365 Group got tagged as "photography". The Betty Blogger site was tagged "education" and I think I should go back and add the tag "blog".

As easy as Diigo was to navigate, I am not sure whether or not I will use it often. I am usually on my home computer; my habit is to go straight to the favorite list and click on the site I want to visit, as the saying goes "old habits are hard to break" It will be interesting to see the recommendations that Diigo makes based on the sites that I have added to my profile. I am always on the lookout for new blogs to read. ( now I just need more time to read them ! )

2 comments:

  1. Great job getting into tags, Trish. Did you by chance download the tool bar and try out highlighting and/or the sticky notes?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used DLTK-kids site many times but will have to check out the Busy Bee Kid Crafts. I think it is great that you've added the additional tags to differentiate between 'kid' versus 'mom' orientation of the sites.

    If you decide to pursue Diigo, it is possible to import your favourite sites from your home computer's browser. Click herefor details.

    ReplyDelete