Thursday, July 29, 2010

Betty Blogger Task # 4 Social Networks

When I read through this weeks Betty Blogger task I thought it would be a breeze. Someone wants my opinion of facebook?! Well, as it turns out my opinion of Facebook is as varied as my friend list. Facebook is a social network, so it reflects both the best and the worst of society itself.

I love that with facebook I feel connected with people that I care about. I can cheer up a friend going through a rough patch, or "LOL" at a funny picture that without facebook I might never have seen. I love that on facebook I can put out a call for a last minute, much needed Girls Night or plan to get together with a friend that I haven't seen in years. Facebook is a great tool to share and connect with others.

And then there is the down side. Just who am I connecting with? Is it safe? Now that the Kid is on facebook, there is the concern for her safety as well. There is also the issue of cyberbullying. I have witnessed cyberbullying with both adults and teens on facebook, and have seen friendships crumble.

Facebook reflects both the best and worst of society. Most people, most of the time are good. To protect myself from the bad in the world, I feel that I would have to be in a bubble. A a parent, it's my job to street proof and Internet proof my kids, not keep them shut off from the world altogether. Facebook is here to stay. It may loose some popularity over the next few years, but I think its going to remain as a tool for communication. With some caution, it's a tool that I will continue to use.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your very insightful comments on Facebook, Trish. I especially like your last paragraph. I have found that by experimenting with Facebook myself I've been better able to counsel my kids about Internet safety and security than when I tried to ban them from using it. As you say, Facebook is here to stay as a communication tool--it just requires caution and common sense.

    ReplyDelete