Thursday, July 15, 2010

Revisiting an Important Part of my Past

Growing up almost every weekend was spent making the journey "up north" to our family cottage in Bracebridge. Our cottage was on a double lot shared with my maternal grandparents home. Sadly, as my grandfather's health declined, my grandparents decided it was best to move back to the city. Because the lot was unable to be severed, both properties had to be sold. It broke my heart. The biggest reason that we vacationed at Arrowhead park, was so that I would be able to share a part of my history with my children. The only request that The Boy made for vacation this year, was to go see Toy Story 3. I googled to see where it would be playing before we left the city and was delighted to find that it was playing at the same movie theatre that I went to as a child. The Norwood has undergone renovations, but it still feels the same. It is here that I saw E.T, Ernest Goes to Camp, and other movies. I smiled when I saw the billboard - "Welcome Back To Muskoka" it felt like they put it up just for me.
Just outside the movie theatre is a park. Once a year, in the summer heat, the park would host a giant craft fair. I loved that day. Looking at all the booths, and creative talent. I remember one year being allowed to buy a pencil with fun fur and googly eyes glued on it . I wonder how much that sent my mother back? I am sure it cost a small fortune. My sister and I were in love with the gazebo at the park. For me, I thought it was so romantic, the idea of bands playing and people dancing...

I also made Hubby do a drive by of the seniors centre. My Grandparents were very active with this organization. When I would stay with Grandma and Grandpa in the summer or on winter vacation, they would take me to the seniors centre with them. The seniors would make such a fuss over me, and I felt like they all were my extended grandparents.
I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to drive by the cottage. I thought it might be too hard for me. But in the end, I couldn't get this close and not go have a look. I was surprised to recognize so many of the family names on the signs on the cottage road being ones that I remembered. As we got closer to our old property, I was nervous and excited. And there it was.


Our cottage



My grandparents home


Even now a week later, its hard for me to articulate my emotions. Am I glad I went back - yes. All I know for sure is that it was just as hard to leave it in 2010 as it was almost 20 years ago. As my husband drove away, my stomach sank, and the kids, even The Little Man was silent. My sweet middle son said, "I like your cottage mom."
"Thanks guys, me too" -fade to black

5 comments:

  1. It has been almost 12 years since my parents sold our family cottage in the Kawarthas due to their failing health. While I understand their reasons, I deeply regret that my own kids will not get to experience all the joys of a family cottage. Your post has made me think that it might be a good idea to try and revisit it sometime. Up until now I've thought it would be too upsetting for me to see it with new owners, especially if they've made lots of changes.

    By the way, I'm hoping to take my own kids to see Toy Story 3 this week. Did your family enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I held out for a long time before going back to the cottage. You'll know when or if you are ready.
    Toy Story is great but you may want to bring some kleenex, it's a real tear jerker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no--I hope nothing happens to Andy, Woody or Buzz. Ugh. I'll definitely bring some Kleenex. Thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not seen this blog until today. I cried. With sheer happiness as I remembered fondly our many weekends, summers and holidays. You sparked so many memories that were hidden deep, the Seniors Centre, the movie theater, the annual craft sale and the pencils with googly eyes....thanks sis! It was such a pleasure growing up with you! Love you more than words! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...how have I not seen this before now??. Jennifer, I too am teary reading this.I guess we all have such wonderful memories from up there & at times wish for "the good old days". Well done Trish (as always).

    ReplyDelete