Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Most Valuable Lesson

Everyone has a story.

I have said this a thousand times. I am sure it is the beginning of most of my lectures. It is the most valuable lesson that I have learned. It is the lesson that I want my children to keep in their minds and hearts when they go out in the world.

Everyone has a story.

Too quickly, almost impulsively, we judge. If we all just slowed down and opened our minds and our hearts, we would see that we are more alike than different. If we could remember that everyone has a story, the world would have more compassion, empathy, sympathy, acceptance and gratitude - and less judgement, ignorance and conflict.

I believe that conflicts are simply misunderstandings. When we stop and listen to someones story, we understand. When we understand, a conflict simply dissolves into different points of view. If we are aware of another person's point of view, then we can learn, we can grow and we can empathize. It is when we listen to another persons story with an open mind and heart, that we are able to agree to disagree and work out compromises. Conflicts are impossible to solve with a narrow mind.

As important as it is to look at one another with an open mind, it is just as important that we look inwards. We must learn to be gentle and honest with ourselves. Why are we acting or reacting to a situation negatively? What must we be willing to see or feel about our own story in order to accept ourselves and how we deal with stressful situations?

Everyone has a story. I believe that if we could just remember this, our homes, communities and the world would be a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment