Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What Christmas Looked Like Around Here

With my husbands family, we alternate between celebrating on boxing day and Christmas day.  We also rotate whose home it will be held at.  This year Christmas was at my sister-in-law's home.  I really enjoy eating her cooking.  It's more family style than fancy, her food always leave me feeling completely nourished and comforted.  Her meals are great, but usually she creates chaos in the kitchen.  I was so impressed with my in-laws this Christmas.  They made turkey dinner look easy, no chaos ~ easy peasy.   
   

After the gifts were unwrapped, we quickly rearranged the furniture for dinner.  The boys table was set up in the living room, and a folding table was brought into the kitchen for the adults.  Dinner was a hoot.  Everyone wore their paper crowns the Christmas conversation starters were passed around.  I am not sure what we were laughing about, but I am sure Grandma was certain it was because we were all drunk.  - wait, maybe she was right.  After dishes and coffee, we went to play a game of Just Dance on the Wii.  The boys and I did an okay job. We had finesse but did not get too many points.   Kenzie and her Aunt rocked at it.  We were having so much fun, we stayed later than we should have.  Thanks guys!



I hosted  boxing day for my side of the family.  I had lots of help.  Mom brought her "party potatoes" and my father's partner brought a cow, a roast.  I made coleslaw, veggie trays, cheese trays and appetizers.  We served the roast as sandwiches.  I rarely get a chance to visit with my family, so it was nice to see everyone together.  It was a little overwhelming, but good. 


I have been thinking a lot about how lucky we are to spend Christmas morning with our children.  In a few years (and I know they will fly by), Christmas will be just my husband and I.  Maybe that is why instead of just going crazy with the presents, we did things differently and unwrapped one gift at a time.  To savour it.  I loved every minute of it. 

Over the years, what we do on Christmas eve has changed depending on the circumstances.  There are a couple of traditions that have not changed.  One is that we put magic reindeer food on the lawn for Santa's fleet.  Another, John reads the kids "T'was the Night Before Christmas." This story only gets read once a year on Christmas eve.  While he is reading, I am madly trying to get a good shot of them.  The last tradition is that we put out cookies and beer for Santa.  Everyone else gives out milk, but we like to stand out.  Don't worry about Santa driving drunk, surely one beer wont put him over the limit, and besides it's the reindeer fly the sleigh.  Once the kids are in bed, hubby and I sit down to watch It's a Wonderful Life.  This year Kenzie watched it with us.  Sadly, she did not like it as much as I had hoped.  She thought that the tittle was a bad match for the plot.  ~ kids, go figure.  Maybe she will grow to like it as she grows up a little more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment