Monday, March 7, 2011

Finding Rhythm

rhythm - (Fine Arts & Visual Arts / Art Terms) (in painting, sculpture, architecture, etc.) a harmonious sequence or pattern of masses alternating with voids, of light alternating with shade, of alternating colours, etc.

The Picture Inspiration prompt this week asked us to explore this definition of rhythm.

Oh dear.  My house, my life and quite frankly my mind has lost its rhythm.  I go through spurts where my mind races, jumping from one idea to the next. The only problem with these moments of inspiration is that they are fleeting.  These ideas come so quickly that I can't seem to grasp them.  Or if I do grasp them I don't hold the attention span to finish them, which only adds to my anxiety.  My house is full of half finished projects and scraps of papers with ideas jotted down.  During these spurts, I go to bed exhausted, only to have my mind race on into the night.  I knew that finding rhythm this week would be a challenge. 

I thought about how I would like to portray rhythm in my capture.  Rhythm, hmm.  I think music and dance. 
I wanted to take a picture of a musical instrument.  A piano would be perfect, with it's alternating dark and light keys, but it was the obvious choice.  I thought how cool would the insides of the piano be?  With the felt hammers hitting the strings.  A sweet mommy friend said I could come take a picture of her piano.  It's one thing to grab a quick shot of piano keys but it's another thing entirely to climb up to take a picture of the insides of her piano (cue anxiety setting in.)  
Instead, I photographed our auto harp. The auto harp is a pretty cool instrument.  Ours has a colourful history behind it.  My father bought the auto harp for his brother Birch.  Birch was an interesting character to say the least.  What I remember about Birch was that he smoked roll his own cigarettes, drank beer and told ghost stories to scare his nieces and nephews.  Uncle Birch was an interesting man, but not musical.  When my father would visit with Birch, he would ask if he had been playing the auto harp.  Birch would reply that it was out of tune.  My dad would spend the time to tune it for Birch.  Only to have the same conversation with him the next time he saw his brother.

auto harp - a harmonious sequence or pattern of masses alternation with voids, light alternating with shade, ect.


I uploaded the auto harp picture to the Big Picture Classes gallery.  But wasn't sure of it.  I went on a mission to find rhythm in my house.  I snapped this of the dinner plates.  A pretty picture, but I just didn't feel it. 

 
dinner plates - a harmonious sequence or pattern of masses alternation with voids, of light alternating with shade, ect.


I tried one last time.  Rhythm.  I thought of cars on a highway, whizzing past much like the thoughts racing through my head.  I set out to get a picture of cars.  What I ended up with was this picture of the hydro field. For some reason, I love this.  I can't say why I love it so much, it just speaks to me in a way that the other images didn't this week. 
pink hydro field - a harmonious sequence or pattern of masses alternating with voids, or light alternating with shade, of alternating colours, ect.


No comments:

Post a Comment