Friday, March 4, 2011

Gracie's Mum

Do you know the word recognition game?  I give you a word, you tell me the first word or thoughts that come to mind?  Well, up until last year if I was given Multiple Sclerosis, I would say, read-a-thon and McGruff the Dog. Up until last year, I hadn't given MS much thought, let alone what it would be like to live with MS.

That changed last year when my cousin/friend Angela was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis.  At the time of her diagnosis, I remember the family wanting so badly to help support  Angela, her husband Steve and their three year old daughter Grace.  Since they live in Nova Scotia, it was hard to lend any kind of real support.  Cards and a fruit basket were sent, phone calls with well wishes made, and one drunken night I chatted online with Steve all trying to convey how we wished we could do more. 

I did what I usually do.  Research.  To the computer I went, trying to figure out the why and how this could happen to a person as funny and smart as Angela.  So much of what I read was science based.  Most of it went over my head.  In very simplistic, unscientific terms (and I hope that I have this right),  I learned that Multiple Sclerosis means "many scars."  This scarring occurs when the body attacks its own central nervous system.  These attacks are called flare ups.  Flare ups can cause permanent damage to the nervous system (brain and spinal cord).  The symptoms vary depending on what part of the brain or spinal cord was damaged in the attack.

So that's the science of MS.  But even knowing the science, I felt bad that I couldn't fully understand what Steve and Angela's daily life might be like.  I suggested to Angela that she start a blog.  By the end of the day the first post of Gracie's Mum: A story of a mum with ms was up.  That was less than a month ago.  In the past month, I have learned so much  about her journey, her struggles, and triumphs with MS.

To honour and celebrate Angela and her family, myself and  a few of her Ontario relatives are participating in the MS walk.  Please click on the link and pledge what you can. 

1 comment:

  1. I love you. Omg I love you.

    So, saying that, I guess it would be tacky to say that I hate that picture of myself. I have a million dollar bounty out for anyone that lets me cut my hair short again.

    XO

    ReplyDelete